View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Grandma12

This Grandma is so proud of you, on several levels.

#1) You did not throw it out the window.
Lesson from Grandma: when you reach your threshold of patience, take a break, walk away and come back after a cup of soothing Chamomile tea, or if it's even worse than that, next week. Just come back.

#2) You have a wonderfully supportive man in your life, who by the way, is proud of what you accomplish, even if it is not perfect. He is worth keeping.

#3) I am proud of you for NOT deciding once was enough for a lifetime, now that you have discovered that it was intermediate, the beginner ones are next...you may discover they feel a bit boring in comparison.

#4) You could hang your Welcome quilt in my home anytime, and I would not even see the imperfections. We are always either or best supporters or our worst critics...and sometimes it is both.

Thank you for posting and sharing with us.

I am a rebel. At a judged quilt show they held in our area, I put some of my real best work, but I also put some easy stuff, including a cheater panel that I had done some very fine hand work on...so that new or potentially new quilters could think to themselves, "I could do that" and not feel so overwhelmed they would never begin. When I was teaching school, piecework, tying and quilting were part of my math class for the elementary age children. We only did our sewing/quilting on Friday, and only if they had gotten their work done for the week.
Teach them young, they will feel confident and by the time they are old enough to notice it is not good work, it will be better.

If you did this well on your first, and worked through all the issues, someday I can see women ogling over your quilts and inventive techniques at a grand quilt show. Honest. Grandma would not lie to you. :-)