Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Grandma12

So now for two real tips.

First:
I have a special "composition" style lined paper notebook just for special recipes...the ones that work every time, as well as the special ones friends exchange with me. Mine is an antique from an estate sale, with leather binding outside.

I organize it on the inside with subject tabs...vegetable dishes, deserts, breads, main dishes, and msc.

Now in that section I have a recipe for such things as doggie biscuits, play dough, finger paints, glue, etc.

Second is one an Italian friend taught me decades ago.
If you place a long handled wooden spoon across the top of your pot, it will not boil over. Does not work with plastic or metal, only wood.

The last tip is not really how to organize the kitchen, but how to organize the shopping.

I keep the shopping list on the fridge door.
But I plan out a menu rather like the school does, only not as strictly adhered to.
I plan for one week, plus one day.
I list the ingredients, and check to see if there is enough in pantry or what I need, and that part goes on the shopping list.

I plan one more time consuming recipe.
Plan several average time meals of moderate energy as well,
and two quickies.
Add one for when company shows up,
and the last can be more like heavy snack...salad and soup, with a good show.

There you have one week's worth, and you can re-arrange any menu for any day of the week.

If I find a good sale, I can indulge.
I really like to plan as if it were an 8 day week, in case I can't shop on the day I like, the cupboard is not bare.

Our adult children know how to watch for what's up so they can plan their visits around what they would like to eat while over...and know what they will need to bring that way as well.
An extra carrot, potato or what ever...

When DH grills out, he always over cooks for the amount of meat we will consume. Then we can wait until it has cooled, and put extra chicken, de-boned and chunk-ed up, in freezer, or cut up the roast he also grilled/smoked, and that too is put down in the freezer. With mad cow disease still out there, we proffer not to only cook up ground beef where you can not tell what parts they put in...so we use our own selections.

Also, for when mad cow does pop up again, if you select your own roast, you can ask the meat department to grind it while you wait. Make sure to ask them to clean the grinder. Or, if you are really fearful of the germs, buy a food processor with a meat grinder/pasta maker attachment.

Hope you liked my hints.