Thread: Necessities
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Grandma12

Alarm Clock...wake up with the sunrise, so why bother with one of those gizmos when we are retired?

But coming from a background where I lived with my grandparents growing up, they did not even have cabinets in the kitchen, sink hang off wall, once they finally had water rather than hand pump for well...

They never did get real serious about indoor plumbing.
When grandpa finally decided to do away with the outhouse, he put flusher on the back porch and put shower curtain up for privacy.

Heated with wood burner, cooked with one too...candles and oil lamps, plenty of quilts for the winter...and a "convenience" with lid tucked under the bed, because in the deep winter of Michigan, even though he had installed a flusher on the back porch, he kept it drained in the winter, and turned the water on for emptying the conveniences twice a day, then shut the water off and drained the pipes so they would not freeze.

Our neighbors voted our family as the most likely to survive...
I have lived here in this house for over 20 years now, sometimes with no utilities, and still did just fine.

But with all that, I will admit that I do like my modern day appliances, running water, power mop, electric vac, electric fridge and freezer, instead of a literal ice box...etc.

I think what I would miss most if I lost all modern appliances and do dads would be my internet, I would miss all of you.
I would keep quilting, because I can still do that by hand.

I would just hate missing all of you, and this site.
And no, I am only in my 50's, not so old as you would imagine for having experienced all that at my grandparent's home.
And yes, I loved it there, hard work and all.