View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 AM
RugosaB

[quote=pstoner]
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Are you thinking of Hex signs: try going to the library and looking up Penn. Dutch Amish Hex signs. You can do it without a pattern, just by looking at the book picture. I made one for our barn meaning prosperity. Each hex sign has it's own meanings. Here's a pic of ours
I don't know if colors in barn quilts have meanings like hex signs do, but I suggest researching it before putting it up. We got a really cool hex sign for our back porch because of the colors, it just blended well with what we had . Then we had a baby, one more, both 'planned' Then we got an 'oops' baby and shortly after saw the back of the hex sign. Seems the green, the major color in it, is a sign of fertility! For a year we had 3 kids under 3

But I did just get a wonderful idea:
Our son, the oops, is in the Navy and lives at an apartment house in San Diego. I joked with him that he should take some duct tape and put "HI MOM" on the roof of his car so when I looked for it on Google Earth, it would show up. Now I'm thinking a quilt block would be more fitting! (We have seen his car on Google Earth)