Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM
wvdek

At first I was going to recommend the handyman, but when you said your home was built in 1898, I thought how you need to be sure no leaks, roofing matches style of home (no metal), lots of angles and roof degrees, and if metal roofs are not installed properly and 'seated' (I think that is the term), you will have problems.

My DH is one of the neighborhood handymen and any roof he puts on will not leak, will last longer than you and I, does not carry liability, guarantees his work as long as he is alive, and gets in, gets the job done, no playing around.

Another thing to consider s do you have to have teh roof inspected by the county at any point and if there is damage later from wind, etc, will your insurance company cover the roof if not done by a professional?
Our insurance company wanted us to pay someone to do our roof after a storm damaged it. So,as the General Contractor, I 'hired' my DH, (he had a business license) he did the job, we saved $10,000 or so bucks and bought the 40 year shingles instead. Maybe it was the 50 year. Anyway, a few things to check on. I would be talking to the homeowners who had him do work. They are the ones who will give you the scoop on him. Looking at his work is only a small portion of the scenario. Good luck.