View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Maride

My husband had to take care of a few things in New York City, but because he can not drive for too long I drove him to Albany (2.5 hours from me) last Saturday and his father picked him up there to bring him home (another 2.5 hours). We were supposed to trade him back on Wednesday. Well, his wonderful mother decided that she didn't want to take the trip again. She made excuses after excuses until Friday Jorge called me and begged me to pick him up, so I spent the day packing up and getting the kids ready to go (they were in school and had no idea). I picked them up to school and we left at 3:30 on a five or six hour trip. Joy!!

Since we took this long trip I wanted them to feel they did something. Backtrack a few days back I posted a quilt I finished in an emergency for my friend. She picked it up on Friday and I was well compensated for the emergency work. I took my quilt money and surprised the kids. They had this weekend the Big Apple Block Party Barbecue. It was a huge collection of different barbecue stores along Madison Avenue. Lines were long but moving quick. We got to sample some of the greatest BBQs ever and then settle for one to have for lunch. We decided on some ribs with Louisiana with the best baked beans ever. After that we just walked, stopped at a farmer's market for some fruit and my daughter wanted to find the lady with the cart selling cupcakes. She was all the way down in Soho, but while walking we went by the store front and got some of the greatest cupcakes I had ever tasted.

Kept on walking and ended up at the Fashion Institute. We went into the museum of clothing and design. Free admission!! What a great way to relax a bit before hitting the train again. The fashion and textiles in the place were wonderful.

Little that I know, I found out today that The Empire Quilter's Guild was having their last meeting of the season at FIT at the same time I was there. I found that out today, but I guess I found a guild to join when I am there.

Today we drove back home. DH was so happy to be back. His mother was in a horrible mood (as usual) and he wanted out of there real bad. I spent every penny on my kids and they felt the trip was worth it. My youngest is playing baseball and wants to learn everything about it. From the train he saw inside Yankee stadium. It was packed with a game about to start. He screamed!! He was so happy.

Hope you all had a great weekend too.