Thread: 30's quilts
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
kay carlson

MNquilter, the appraiser was Bev Proulx from North Branch, MN. She was at Menominee, MI and I was able to secure an appointment with her. My husband stayed with me and was really impressed by all the things she was teaching us. He said he has a greater appreciation for the quilt I kept and quilting in general :-)

She reviewed the types of fabric, pattern, quality of workmanship, etc. We listened closely as she described how to launder the quilt and dry it. I had done everything she said except I had elected to dry the quilt on delicate heat in our dryer. I didn't have enough room to lay out a tarp and towels for the quilt to air dry.

Bev also discussed how to care for the quilt - folding, storage, etc. Overall, it was well worth the $40. investment. She took a picture for her file and supplied a detailed report for insurance purposes. I am not interested in insurance, but wanted to know more about the pattern and cloth.

I ended up giving the other quilt to a family member after I had laundered it. Now, the next generation of the paternal family has the heirloom to pass along.

It is so exciting to see what you have received. The quilts are treasures. Enjoy :-)

P.S. Please pm me if you need info on laundering the quilt as you will not want to subject it to mechanical aggitation.