Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
can anyone tell me about this machine and what needles it will take?
Hi BZ quilting,
Back on page 143 (hope that is right) I posted a photo of the Eldridge I was going to pick up today. Billy wrote the following in answer to my question. We just arrived home from our journey to pick it and tomorrow I hope to post photos and begin doing some research on this machine.

Here is the post:
SewExtreme wrote:
I am trying to find info on a New Eldridge Rotary Electric machine. Where can I look for serial numbers to date the machine? I am thinking it's circa 1930s.

Morning everyone, I have the coffee on and sitting here thinking about the few errands I have to do first so the shop will be in your hands for a bit. But like Mac Arthur I shall return!!!!

I had to come to this post because it is absolutely gorgeous!! And it is an Eldridge. This company merged with National and became one of the largest companies badging machines in America.

Remember talking about wishing you had a spool of thread for a bobbin instead of a little bobbin? These guys had that figured out and was patented under the National/Eldridge company.

The "National two spool" as it was known as was made somewhere in the teens and for a few years. Why it never really caught on I do not know, but I am going to say it had a lot to do with the "Sewing Machine Wars" which was a free for all that ended up setting almost every patent law we have in effect because of it.

But what makes this machine so important to me is the fact that it is an Eldridge and not a National. You hardly ever see an Eldridge especially one in this condition floating around.

This is a very important machine in the history of sewing machines!!

Billy