View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Jen

Wow, such a generous concept for those who jump in ! Thank you ! I'm up for adoption. :D I shouldn't be that difficult, as I'm not entirely a newbie, however, I haven't yet finished my first real (bed) quilt, which is in hibernation due to the fact that I didn't know what I was doing, and so, I consider myself a newbie.

I love traditional style Amish quilts, and to me, that means mostly that I use solids and work with color relationship more between murks and brights, (love the black too), and of course, make intentional mistakes ! I also feel it's necessary to do hand quilting to have the affect I like, though I must admit, piecing tops with machine is the way I go ! I love the center diamonds, the center squares, and variations of them, and my DH loves anything nine-patch. So I'm focusing on those motifs. Are there any hand-quilters among you?

I probably am doing everything wrong, but I seem to not want to get too hung up on the do's and dont's just yet... but will definitely need a mentor sometime , soon likely, as I am revisiting that bed quilt in hibernation. I want to tie it off, forget the handquilting, finish it and start another, done correctly.

I am from California, far, far away from Pennsylvania, but my DH was born there, and is a great-grandson of a real Amish family, and we both love, love, love the farm-feel of their lifestyle, not to mention their amazing quilts.

I have so much *more* to say about what I love in the Amish quilts, and quilts in general, but will save it for next post.