View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 AM
ncsewer

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by grammaJilly
Insurance company said they would not pay anything for the fabric because I don't have receipts.
So does that mean I need to have receipts for all the furniture, pictures, towels, bedding, pots and pans, glasses, etc for my home if 'something' were to happen? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Some of that stuff is well over 30 years old...almost antique :lol:

I'll have to check with my insurance today. I can't imagine needing every receipt for everything in my house. . . and probably needing a safety deposit box 'outside the house' to keep them. Stupid! :thumbdown:
I work for an insurance company, not in claims, but I still hear the stories. If you reported directly to the company and talked to an adjuster, try calling your agent to intervene for you. You'll want to make a list of what was lost as they have to start somewhere. I'd list the color, size of the piece, the producer of that fabric and expected replacement cost. You might be able to go online and find some of the newer ones and print it off to show the price. They may not realize what an investment it was. You can also include the cost of the soaps, rinses and all that you used trying to get them cleaned. I don't know what is covered, but the more info you give them, the better your chances.

If the agent can't help, call the claims office and ask to speak to a supervisor and if you still have no luck and figure you've lost a lot, try calling your state's Insurance Office. They will review the claim and make the company explain to them why they aren't paying. And... if you get the run-around too much, switch carriers! Some are cheaper, but when you don't get covered for a loss, how much is it worth ?