View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 AM
All Thumbs

Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm; we are going to need it yet one knows if you just jump right in, the quilts will come.

In answering:

Yes “Gal,” there is a fabric fairy and she has just dusted us! LOL

“TMG,” you are correct when battered women and their children leave home with nothing but what is on their backs. We also sew large tote bags for the children when they arrive so they can put their coats, gloves or whatever in them. The center collects small hygiene items (tooth brushes, soaps, etc.) and those items also go into these bags, along with small quilts.

As for Project Linus, this is a national organization which provides quilts to children who are seriously ill in hospitals or otherwise in a traumatized situation.

Additionally, my local Guild makes quilts for the police and fire departments to carry with them for emergencies. Can you not imagine coming upon a car accident where a child could be trapped in a vehicle? This way the patrolman could stuff the blanket through the rubble to the child inside and perhaps those children’s focus fabrics could give that child a moment to calm himself while looking at the animals in the fabric.

As for the fabrics themselves, many are from JoAnn’s and there are a few Cranston prints from the late 1990s which I assume may be Walmart stuff. However, because they are older fabrics, they appear to be a tighter thread count and longer thread shank so should hold up in washings. As for the corduroys and heavier fabrics, those are being transferred to a group of ladies who make bears. Yes, Dorothy, the donating sewing lady was very kind in finding a home for her fabrics. I understand some of the smaller pieces are being sold at a garage sale this weekend.

Yes, MommaBear61, we will post photos from time-to-time. In fact, I want to make a small scrapbook for the fabric donator and put it in a Christmas stocking which I will make from her fabric too. These boots are approximately 12" x 20" and my Guild makes 200 for the battered women's center each year.

Thanks again; we are so blessed!
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...ser/dizzydonna
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85948.jpe