View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
craftybear
Google Goddess

have fun!

Originally Posted by katmom54
ok...so I have always hand quilted, but have decided to try machine quilting to speed up my finishing (want to have time for more projects!) . Need some courage and advice.

I got a walking foot - thought I should try the straight lines first, and have practiced on small sandwich just getting used to the new feel of the WF (saw that someone was making potholders of her practice samples - nice idea!) - like it and feel comfortable with the action, ..so...

1. how do you buy your thread? Seems it would take a lot. I have seen topics discussing the brand, but wondered - do you buy spools? Cones? Do you have to have a billion bobbins wound and ready?
2. What is the easiest way to mark? I have used the blue pens before and have a quilt that I have not been able to remove it all - do you ever use the 1/4 " masking tape to get started, then follow the previous lines?
3. Will the spray basters work well enough on their own to hold the quilt together? I hate pins.

Thanks - you are all so quick to help and have great suggestions...plan to try this week to finish a couple quilts.