View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 AM
quilter53

Originally Posted by RST
On the log cabin question -- how to quilt: I really like to do something to counter all those straight lines, so I've done things like a big spiral centered on each block, and radiating out, then with petals or sun flares, kind of like an Aztec looking sun. I'll have to see if I can find some photos to show what I mean. When I do that approach, I use a medium grey or beige thread that will not stand out too much on either side of the block.

You can also do a meandering pattern, and if you are not confident of your abilities and want to hide, use a thread that will blend with the darker side, and do those areas all at the same time, then switch thread to a lighter thread and do those portions of the block. Free motion work allows you to travel pretty easily from block to block.

I personally have no problem with doubling back on my stitching line, and I'm fine with crossing over -- once it's all done, it will not show up, and I don't do quilts for contests or shows, so I don't care about the rules.
I'd love to see your quilting pics. I have some loose log cabin blocks I was given so I am going to practice on those to decide which I like best.