View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
wishiwerequilting

I guess if it is not coming easily to go FMQ, then you should see if you have done everything on the FM check list:
1. properly sandwiched practice piece
2. machine set up with proper needle, proper thread and foot, with feed dogs dropped. Good lighting.
3. machine bed level with table or surface you are working on to prevent "drag" on quilt.
4. gloves or rubber fingers
5. super slider (or similar cover) for machine bed to decrease friction
6. after all that...i ithink it is practice, practice, practice.

Personally I find it most helpful to mark my design with a very visible line (Such as blue water soluble marker or chalk) to follow. Once you get that down, then you can design without any markings, particularly with background fillers. This is a personal thing...each person is different.
I recommend if you are having problems to make sure all your obstacles are out of the way.

It can help to practice tracing designs on paper or using a dry erase board until the "pattern" you are doing enters the "memory" of your hands. it does happen. That's why it is easiest to start with things that are familiar to your hands, such as your name, stars, etc.
To stipple, take paper and try to make the stippling shape (like a puzzle piece) with a pencil or pen without lifting it off the paper. Once you can do that, you can do it on fabric.