View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
wishiwerequilting

Originally Posted by quilter53
When using a darker thread either for the back or the front sometimes the other thread shows. Do I need to adjust the tension? I have a Viking D1.
possibly. I use very fine threads for machine quilting...such as Mettler 60/2 ply embroidery cotton thread, Masterpiece thread or Bottom Line thread. That way if the thread does show a bit, it is not very noticable b/c it is fine thread. Never use poor quality thread for machine quilting!
This was a trick I learned from Deb Wagner...that she liked the quilting to complement the piecing and not stand out on its own. There are others who would disagree with that and would like to have the quilting stand out and they use variegated thread and really make it pop. But if you are starting out and not so confident in your ability, i like the blending in concept. ;)

Try to select a thread which blends with the majority of your fabrics in your blocks. It may be a grayish or taupe color.
When you select backing fabric, try to select a busy backing (until you are confident and want to show off!) that won't show your stitching that much and then try to have a color which blends with the majority of the top.
(so in other words, if you have a rather dark top, don't use a light backing) That way, if you have some show through of the bobbin, you won't see it as much. Bobbin thread should match the backing as best as possible.
When selecting thread, try to have your top with you and your backing with you and pull one strand out to lay it on the fabric, as the spool laying on the fabric will look very different than one thread.
when all else fails, you can use clear thread. However, it is not always fun to work with and i don't recommend it for beginners.
JMHO, as always....i'm sure there are others who approach it differently and you will get lots of suggestions from them on this digest...

One other thing...which i feel is very important...make sure your machine bed is level with the table. So if you have a sewing cabinet, use it. If not, please rig something up so that your quilt is not bumping up to get on the bed of the machine. This puts a lot of "drag" on the quilt and it makes it much more difficult. :thumbdown: You really want to have your quilt top supported as you are quilting. (that means no 4 legged helpers sitting on them either!)

So put on some relaxing music, and give it a whirl. I hope this helps!
Good luck!