Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
lab fairy

Sorry, I can't help with location. I'm in Texas (but my parents still live in VA if that helps).

Things I think are a must with my machine:

For piecing:
1. The built in "walking foot" (on my machine it is called IDT).
2. The sensor light that indicates when the bobbin thread is about to run out.
3. Adjusting my needle position so I can get an accurate 1/4 inch seam (It is important to me, maybe not so much to others.)

For quilting, quilting:

1. Being able to drop my feed dogs.
2. As big a throat as I can afford so I could handle more quilt bulk.
3. Is there an big open toed free-motion/darning foot available? I hated the little darning foot that came with my machine. I couldn't see a thing.

I'm sure there are more but I didn't think of them yet.

I would think that the following would be part of things to think about:

1. cost of feet [Can you get a 1/4 inch piecing foot with a blade, stitch in the ditch foot (mine is called a knit edge foot because I wanted the all metal construction for durability), etc]
2. warranty and repair facility [Does the machine get serviced on site or does it have to be sent away? That is a big factor for me]
3. if the machine can download stitched from a computer, is the software compatable with the new Windows 7 and Vista updates. (My machine will not load the software on the those new operating systems but the machine itself is still wonderful. Just wanted to give you a heads up on the software issues since my old computer "ate itself and I bought a new one".)

I own a Pfaff 7570 and bought it new. I paid a lot for things I really probably haven't used enough of like the computerized emboidery, but I can't say enough about how the way it handles all sorts of fabric. That is important to me because I sew a lot of other things besides quilt pieces. Front bobbin loading has never been an issue for me because I don't think I've ever owned a machine that didn't do this. However, I bought my daughter her first sewing machine, a Janome DC2010 (fairly economical, has some good features, access to feet that are inexpensive, serviced at the place I purchased, etc.) It has a top loading bobbin and I liked it a lot. That little machine sews pretty well and has handled everything she has given it so far. She hasn't pieced anything so I can't tell you how well her new 1/4 inch foot works yet (or the stitch-in-the-ditch one either). We do use those feet for other sewing needs and they've preformed well so far.

My point of view is just mine, but I have bought many machines over the years. I have to say I'm getting better with each one I purchase.

Make sure you take fabric and thread with you to test drive a machine (make a small quilt sandwich or two as well.) I'm sure other people will think of more things to consider. I always envision sewing everything when I buy a machine (I kind of sound like Alton Brown, all things should multipurpose not just single task) because I usually end up doing it.