Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 PM
CorgiNole

I have a vintage Bernina which is new-to-me.

I decided early in my search that I did not need embroidery or computerized capabilities right now - but did want a quality machine. One concern that I had about the computer programs is that I now have Windows 7 at home with no access to XP, and some of the older machines/programs may not be compatible.

The critical stitches for me right now are a straight stitch and a zigzag.

I've finished 2 rag quilts so far, getting myself used to the machine.

What I like about the machine is the durability - it is all metal - not easy to move around by any means, but also less likely to break.

At a class I took recently, there was another student trying to figure out how to set up the automatic needle threader - and after watching her, I'm happy to not have that feature as it looked to be more trouble than it is worth.

My previous machine is a low end Singer - and is NOT my "mother's sewing machine." I learned to sew on Mom's 1960's heavy duty Singer. Some of the olders Singers are fantastic, it is the newer plastic ones that are not so much...

As to front loading versus drop in bobbins - the explanation I read has to do with the angle of the thread coming off the bobbin - the front load allows the thread to come straight off the bobbin while the top load involves a 90ish degree turn - one more chance for tangling.

Some day I may upgrade to a fancier machine. For now I'm very happy with my choice.

Cheers, K