Thread: Sound Off!!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 AM
amandasgramma

I saw a program the other day that explained that the tomatoes were genetically altered (hybrids) to have thicker skin and to be harder so they don't squish in transport. I put all the tomatoes I buy on the windowsill and wait a few days. Usually, they'll become softer, redder and sweeter. Don't know about bell peppers because I don't eat them. As for the fruit. We've had that problem but I believed it's because we've moved to the high desert and getting good fruit here is almost impossible. However, later I bought some fruit at a different store that lasted for over a week. I'd talk to the manager of the store where you shop and explain you're unhappy with the shelf life of their fruit. Or do like I did, search out another store. The first year here, our local store tried to sell yellow summer squash for $.79 a lb (it was $.10 a lb where I came from). The squash they were selling was old, wrinkled and should have been in the garbage bin. I talked to the produce guy, then the manager and got the same story...."gee, is there something wrong with it?". I quit shopping at that store.