View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 AM
mar32428

Originally Posted by Snoozle
Welcome aboard. I'm new here too.
Having worked in 2 quilt shops for over 20+ years in Pa. then Iowa I know that only a "real" quilt shop sells quality fabric. Some manufacturers you love and trust and others...not so much! The same applies to quilt shops! (Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are NOT quilt shops.)Manufactures produce fabric specifically for "quilt shops" and "not to be sold at chain stores".
I prewash and dry all of my fabrics. Good fabric does not fray and tangle excessively when it comes out of the washer.Cheap greige goods come out in a wadded ball of threads. Bare in mind that manufacturers use different quality greige goods for different "fabric lines" so while you may not like one line another may be just what your looking for.
Several years ago, Louise Cutting gave a super program on fabric. She lives in our town so it was easy to book her then. She had several fabrics of the same print or design and explained how fabric was dyed or stamped. We learned why fabric at WM can be $3 and the same (?) fabric at the LQS is $9. They are not the same for many reasons. She even had three fabrics that "looked" exactly alike but were entirely different in quality. She also explained why it is so important for fabric buyers to develop a "hand" or feel for the fabric. This comes from time and experience.

Did you know she is a fabulous artist and does all her own pattern drawings?