View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Snoozle

Several years ago, Louise Cutting gave a super program on fabric. She lives in our town so it was easy to book her then. She had several fabrics of the same print or design and explained how fabric was dyed or stamped. We learned why fabric at WM can be $3 and the same (?) fabric at the LQS is $9. They are not the same for many reasons. She even had three fabrics that "looked" exactly alike but were entirely different in quality. She also explained why it is so important for fabric buyers to develop a "hand" or feel for the fabric. This comes from time and experience.

Did you know she is a fabulous artist and does all her own pattern drawings?[/quote]

Love the name, Louise Cutting. How appropriate and so on the mark! We as a shop had a big row with a fabric manufacturer about this because fabrics we bought started turning up in chain stores for half the price or less and the rest of the quilt shops in our area were with us on this. ( We had to ream-out a few fabric reps, but we got their attention.) That was back in the early 90's when a certain west coast designer "sold out". I think her new "windfall" got the better of her and I rarely see the company's fabric (or her books/patterns) in quilt shops anymore so they sought the easy way out. And then there was a Mid-west designer... but that's a whole other story. It's
best said, "you get what you pay for". It takes years of touching and feeling to develope a good fabric sense, but you must pay attention to those senses. Cheap fabrics have thier purpose for experimentation, very true, but if you plan to leave a legacy, and I think most quilters do, then it doesn't pay to skimp on fabric.
BTW the handsome fellow on the left is Rockat, one of my four furry feline friends. He thinks life can imitate art!