Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by no1jan
Oh Billy, you are so right. My SIL and her friend both took their machines at the same time into a "well-known" fabric store that also does repairs.

My SIL has a short in her foot pedal. When she got it back $100.00 later it would not reach the floor. She uses a hat box and bought a new machine. NOT THERE!

Her friend brought hers in for a tune-up. Approximately $130.00 later, she picked it up and when she opened it at home the tension assembly fell out. They had broken it and never told her. They offered to refund $50.00 back to her.

She couldn't get replacement parts so also ended up buying a new machine.
Jan I service the older machines, and what I do for a service is over and above what the two shops here in town does.

I take the machine apart and thoroughly clean the mechanics, I inspect the wiring and make sure the connections are tight (if it is electrical), thoroughly oil the machine, put it back together, check the tension both on the bobbin and the topside, run it at high speed for a few minutes to make sure the machine is oiled and running smoothly. Afterward I will give the machine a good old fashion polish and have it looking like it just left the factory!!

If it needs any parts then I will contact the owner and let them know what it needs and 9 times out of 10 they still make the parts and I go get them put it in and I put the old part in a zip loc baggie for them to see what it was.

Then I will take a price of broadcloth folded and ironed and will sew a sample of every stitch to make sure it is in proper order. Then I leave the piece of cloth in the machine to show the customer that it is functioning properly.

All of this for $65

Which is about $10 to $20 less than what the other shops here charge for blowing it out and a few drops of oil.

Billy