Thread: Aquaponics
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Pam

I live in the MidWest and we could easily reclaim the runoff water from the roofs to divert to fish tanks, however our tanks would freeze in winter(probably not solid) I know we would have to harvest most of the fish before the really cold weather sets in.

Is there a way to set this up just for a family and possibly for some produce to sell at a farmer's market? I am not interested in anything commercial, there just would not be much of a market in our rural area.

I know that things like lettuce are grown, what about the larger crops such as squash, tomato, peppers, ect? For me this is very exciting, we have plenty of yard area to do this, we even have a pond on our farm (hay) that we stock with bream and bass.

Would talapia be the only species of fish that this would be practical with? I have lots of questions!

Do you have a website on this topic and your work in Haiti? I really would like to see what you have been doing down there. Such an exciting thing, helping those folks become independant!

I am going to be out of town for a few days, but I am looking forward to learning more about this.