View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 AM
quiltmaker101

Quilt making may have started out of necessity - to keep the family warm in the days before the furnace - but it was also a creative outlet. A challenge to make something beautiful and lasting out of whatever scraps had been saved or salvaged from old clothes, etc. That is making the best out of tough times!

Now making quilts is a craft - a hobby - a luxury for those who are creative and have the time and energy to give to it. So, ask yourself, what is the rush?

I think of making a quilt pretty much the same as expecting a baby. When I am planning it and picking out pattern and fabrics, it is about midterm. I pace myself. I enjoy the process of creating it, taking it slow so I get the best result.

Later, as it gets close to piecing together, and thinking of how I want it quilted, its is like labor. I feel "pushed" to finish it. I am driven.

After it is finished, I may feel a pull to start something else, but sometimes I want to read that good book that's been waiting on me, or go to the beach with my family, etc And who wants to have baby after baby without a rest and a chance to get your figure back? LOL

The bottom line is, I don't let myself feel guilty! I want to make a quilt when my artistic level equals my energy level and the time I WANT to give to it. I don't ever want making a quilt to be on the same level as emptying the dishwasher and doing laundry!

So don't feel bad. You need a rest, a distraction. Do what you want, what you've always wanted to do, and enjoy yourself!