Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 AM
wishiwerequilting

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Okay, I know you'll probably all think I'm dense but it just hit me how the fact of all my seams being a bit deeper than 1/4" is probably my exact problem. That last strip is always a tad longer than the rest of the pieced block. I was thinking the problem was with that last strip itself. Thinking my 1/4" seam was too scant or something on that last strip (like I was sewing different on that last strip, huh? :P). Anyways, I know many of you have said you think the problem is my 1/4" being too deep, but I just couldn't see how that was causing this, until now! I can't explain how I see it in my mind but I totally understand it. I'm going to work on my scant 1/4" and try with the next block to see if that doesn't go a long ways in helping.
I was just surfing around on the web and found this page, which is helpful, I think. I have used the "index card" trick myself when teaching about 1/4" seams. This is a nice explanation with pics, and good exercises to take to your machine. maybe it will help you out. Hope so!
http://quiltville.com/quarterinch.shtml