Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 AM
peaceandjoy

A friend and I joined one of the local guilds three years ago. Before we could join, they had to vote to allow the membership limit (which had been 50) to be changed - with us sitting there! Phew, that passed.

Some members are more friendly than others; that's okay - chances are the ones who are already caught up in their own group would not be folks I'd want to be friends with anyhow.

As this past year was winding down, and committees were forming for the upcoming year, one long-time member made an interesting comment. Joining a committee is a good way to get to know some of the other members better. Right now, my life is too busy for that - but it stuck wtih me, and in a year or two, I'll strongly consider it.

Most of the time, I don't think people mean to be aloof - I don't think they even realize that they are coming across that way. Uncomfortable as it can be, sometimes the "new kid on the block" has to be the one to pursue new contacts, in whatever setting you can think of - work, church, guilds, etc.