Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
mpspeedy

I belong to two guilds. The first started out with about 6 people in a member's house. It has now grown to over 100. Over the years it has moved three different times to accomadate the growing membership. When I started I was a beginning quilter by modern standards. After 30 years I have seen and done just about everything quilt related. I have held various postions in both guilds and find volunteering to help with some project or task is the best way to get friends. Most recently I catered the guild's annual Christmas Party. I finally stopped complaining about the previous chairperson and put my money where my mouth was. It went very well but I won't do that again. I think I was able to break the hold that member had on the affair for at least 20 years. It was more than time for new blood and new ideas. Quilting like other things is constantly evolving. Both guilds have several semi-professional long armers that now finish at least 50% of the quilts produced by the members. All guilds have members at differnt stages in their quilting journey. As a new member you need to feel your way to the smaller group that reflects where you are in your quilting.
Being a member of a guild gives you access to classes and lectures by professional quilt people that you might not be able to afford on your own.