Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 AM
gollytwo
Banned

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
My neighbor invited me to her quilt guild meeting last week and other than her and the lady sitting next to me, I felt like an intruder. I tried to talk to people but got short answers back and no one seemed to want to acknowledge that I was there.
I would love to meet a group of people to get together with that enjoy needle arts but I feel put out by this group already. Am I not giving them a fair chance? Has anyone had anything similar happen?
Go back and join. First of all you're in NE - not the talkee-immediately friendly bunch.
Volunteer for something; if they have a retreat go to it. You get to spend time with individuals.
I had the same experience at the first 2 guilds I joined, but hung in there and have over time made alot of good friends.

The next guild I joined SooNipi Quilt Guild in Newport was a different experience. At the time I joined they had monthly home mtgs in addition to Guild mtgs, so you really could get to know people quickly.
Geography is not my long suit - if Newport isn't too far. We meet the 3rd Thursday from 10 to 1. I'm sending you a PM.