View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 AM
Roben

I remember when Wal-Mart had 'Made in America' signs all over the store (am I old or what?!) I agree that businesses have responsibilities to stockholders, but I also believe they have responsibilities to act in ethical ways, and I personally don't believe that Wal-Mart does that. Their practices brought down Vlasic, among many others: http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3046wal-mart_pricing.html

We Americans would like to make a living wage, but want to purchase goods priced so inexpensively that they have to be made in countries that pay very little -lots more there, but I'm being nice :-) There is no such thing as a contract with Wal-Mart that is only a small percentage of any companies' market; Wal-Mart is simply too big for that.

Our family shows our displeasure in the only way that matters much anymore; with our cash. We choose not to shop at Wal-Mart. The bottom line is the that the only reason they have that kind of power is because people shop there. It's the same reason all the little businesses close when Wal-Mart comes to town; they can't compete with that kind of buying power, we shop where its the cheapest, and there goes the Mom and Pop shop. Now when they remove the fabric, there is no alternative.