Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 AM
momymom

I was taught to quilt by a small group of ladies who called themselves "The Tuesday Needlers" They were more of a club than a guild. They invited me and my then 4 year old son to join them. Several years later when I had twins, they were welcomed with open arms. I've never heard of a quilting group or guild welcoming small children since. Most of the ladies have since passed away, and the rest are elderly. I don't know if they still meet, but they were the best teachers I could have had.
I have since moved, and tryed a guild here. I went to 2 of their sit and sew meetings. I was pretty much ignored. They were preparing for an upcoming show they were having. Several of the ladies were bickering like children over raffle tickets. After the second meeting, and more bickering I decided I wouldn't go back. Turns out this particular group had splintered into 2 groups because of the infighting.
There is another guild I have heard of, but never visited. They have to many requirements for my taste. I don't have time for my quilting, and don't need the extra stress of being required to make a donation quilt for a guild as a requirement for membership. They to make "show" quilts and are intered and accepted into national shows every year. I don't make show quilts. So, I am a lone quilter by choice.