Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Covered in Threads

My 2 cents - my Pfaff Expressions 2 is my main work horse and I felt very affordable (about $2,000) for all the sewing & quilting I do. It has dual lights, large throat plate area, easy to change out feet and many of the features required for quilting. In addition to the Pfaff I have a lightweight Janome for workshops and traveling (weighs only 12 lbs) but it's a great little machine. I also have an old Singer Serger and a very old all metal BelAir that goes through 6 layers of denim like a hot knife through butter. And recently I added a Bernina Embroidery machine. Though I used a Juki Long Arm machine and expandable table for a number of years, I found it restrictive which is why I use the Pfaff now for all my long arm needs. I've also found that the Pfaff (which I use daily) is in the shop a lot less than any of the others.
Test driving is a must but the key is to find a service center you can work with that won't rip you off. I've been blessed with one of best family owned and operated service centers in all of Northern Arizona. Good people.