Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
quiltilicious

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I think the "look commercial thing" depends for me. I want my garment sewing to look very high end (no unfinished seams, etc. that scream "home-made") and I use a serger, french seams, etc. to make sure that happens.

Quilts and wall hangings are a different kettle of fish for me. I think good stitching will always be a winner (no matter what the purpose). I have always required a high level of craftsmanship from myself.

There are a lot of people who think telling someone their sewing looks as good as "store bought" is a complement because they have only been expose to very mediocre seamstresses and were really repelled by the product. My Mom is one of these people. I just recognize the sentiment and understand what she's trying to tell me.
I remember hearing a story from an exDH when his mother slaved over the stove one day making soup, and he complimented her by saying "This tastes just like Campbell's!" :lol:

I interpret these types of compliments as though they were saying "these are good enough to make a living at!" which is high praise indeed (and boy would I love to make a living creating art... sigh)