Thread: Beaver Tails
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 04:35 PM
PuffinGin

They sound wonderful and I just love the name. I'm copying this recipe.

I see you're from Ontario and wondered if you know about "Persians" that are made in Thunder Bay. They're yummy but IMO a bit heavy on the pink frosting. Here's what Wikepedia has to say about them:

"A Persian is an oval-shaped, cinnamon-bun-like pastry with a sweet, pink icing made of either raspberries or strawberries. It originated in and remains particular to the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.

The Persian is a variation of the Pershing, a doughnut made from a yeast dough that is coiled with cinnamon and usually finished with a plain sugar glaze rather than pink icing. Pershings are widely available at doughnut shops elsewhere in North America. For Example, Busken's Bakery in Cincinnati refer to them as Persians, while Dunkin' Donut's refer to them as Coffee Rolls.

Traditional lore is that the Persian was named for U.S. general John 'Blackjack' Pershing[1] but the exact date of its inception and circumstances of its creation are no longer known, giving rise to competing claims and myths among people in the region. Its recipe remains a general secret with long-running debates on whether the icing contains raspberries or strawberries. Persians are often used fundraising items to be sold at schools, churches, shopping malls, and other social events."