Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Ellen

Back during the '40's and 50's, you weren't looked down upon for wearing homemade because everyone was in the same boat. During the 60's and 70's, people just shook their heads in sadness if you wore homemade (keep in mind, some weren't homemade but perceived as such). In the 80's on, we had economic growth like we've never had and homemade went by the wayside....and quilting had it's re-birth. Some were good, some were bad and the imported quilts hadn't made it to our shores yet.
Imported quilts are made with slave labor, the advertised "handquilting" leaves a lot to be desired and the construction is shoddy at best. I would be very offended if my quilts were compared with those "storebought" quilts. A friend of mine in PA bought a "handmade" quilt that advertises Amish quilts....if they had one in that shop, I never saw it. I couldn't convince her to leave the store without it....My sister in PA says they're made by the same workers that make the $50 specials in Steinmart etc. I believe it.
I just tell people when they ask about my clothes that they are one of a kind. And I tell people who ask about my quilts that they are one of a kind. Call me a snob if you must but I will not be compared with what people perceive as storebought today. (^..^)