View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 AM
raptureready

My very first quilt (a doll quilt) was made on Mom's machine when I was three years old. I can remember having to stretch my entire leg out to push the knee pedal with my foot. I also remember my older sister stacking encyclopedias on the sewing chair and saying, "Now don't tell Mommy that you're sewing on her machine because she'll think you're too little and we know you're not." It was a great conspiracy between us. Having a sister that's 8 years older can be a lot of fun.

No, she's not too young at all. Get her a full sized machine but an inexpensive one. Don't get a child one or she'll probably get discouraged in a hurry. Janome, Brother, and others make a little bit smaller less expensive machines without being toy-ish. The Janome Magnolia is a wonderful beginner machine.

Originally Posted by ThreadsofLife
My daughter is 8 and wants to quilt. Do you think that is to young? If not what type of machine do you think I should get for her. I have a Viking Designer SE and I think it would be to much for her to handle. Please give me your thoughts...