Thread: Pricing quilts?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 AM
quiltmaker101

I have a friend and fellow guild member here in Pensacola. Claire does long arm quilting, and also makes quilts for customers. Her website is bellaquilting.com and her prices are listed there.

I have one customer I make quilts for as a side job. It is really hard to price them because I put some much time and effort into them, then I pay Claire to do the quilting. (I don't even try because I know I would mess it up.)

Usually I count the cost of the fabric, the cost of the quilting and add $100 for my time if it is a queen size or king. Charging what it is really worth would never be affordable, so I count the time I got to spend making something beautiful for someone who actually loves it when its done as a gift to them and a treat for me!

I made a king size quilt for my own bed. Just the fabrics totalled over $300 and then there was the cost of getting it quilted - $180, so I know I couldn't sell it for even that much. Who would find it as beautiful as I do? See photo attached.

Anyway, I had it appraised by a professional quilt appraiser, and it is worth $850!!! If I lost it in a fire or flood without that appraisal, I would only get about $50 because insurance companies consider it a "blanket" without an appraisal.

I hope Claire's website helps you with the pricing!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56818.jpe