View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
zyxquilts

Originally Posted by KO24
Ok, so everone knows I live in Wa. state...
I havent really done a shop hop and I think I have been trying to quilt for years now...
Maybe I forgot...But I thought I would give thie year a try...some cool fat quarters, cool fabrics, maybe some sales....
But, every shop is supposed to give you a block (material), found out today that you have to buy the "block finish fabric/kit" or 'additional"block finishing fabric...so this means that you "REALLY" dont' have the fabric to finish an 8.5" block. And there really isn't any advertised 'quilt fininshing Kit that incudes the sashing and borders.
I can understand that you need to buy sashing and borders but the quilt shops I visited today did not have these item advertsed...so I had no clue...
Needless to say I felt like a duck outta water, lots or small bits of fabric that won't complete a block.....
What to do?
I'm sorry for the long post but what should I have done...
I really have no interest in going to anymore shops since the Fat Quarter selection is nill and the there isn't any sale on yard fabrics...
So what is the point of going on shop hop?
K

I looked up your shop hop to see what it said about the blocks:
Shop Hop fabrics have been especially designed for the Western Washington Quilt Shop Hop by In The Beginning Fabrics and Clothworks.
These manufacturers donate one bolt of fabric to each shop. Individual shops must provide one piece of the shop hop theme fabric from In The Beginning, one piece of a coordinate from Clothworks, and one fabric of their choosing. You will need to provide other fabric if necessary to finish your blocks. Some shops may have finishing kits available for you to purchase.
The shop hop I've done here in SoCal, they didn't give a block kit, just a block pattern at each shop. I'm with you, it seems odd that they would give out an incomplete block kit - to me, a "kit" should have everything you need in it!
Most of the quilt shops I've been in will cut a FQ for you. The main point of the hop is to introduce you to all the area shops. I don't know that they have special sales during the hop tho'. They are usually open extra hours, and here, last year, each shop gave a charm & some other goodies (snacks, water, etc). It can be really fun to do the hop with friends & make it an adventure. I don't think I would do it on my own tho'.