View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Joanie2

"I know a lot of you find bargains in thrift stores, on clearance and use scraps from friends, so how thrifty can we be from start to finish? Just want to know if I'm still spending too much while the rest of you are making quilts for less!"

I am really trying to be more thrifty and use what I have for quilt tops but when it comes to backings I do have to buy. I have found that although I do like a lot of the planned patterns I really enjoy making scrap quilts. A close friend shared something once told to her by a famous quilter (can't remember which one right now) who said "When you make a quilt from a set number of fabrics that is planned out people see it and ooh and aah about the pattern, the fabric and the quilting and that's the end of the conversation. But when you make a scrap quilt that has unplanned fabrics and infinite number of scraps the conversation can go on an on because each time the quilt is looked at something else catches your eye that you didn't see before". So I've been trying to keep that thought and so far, I'm having fun with it.

I did pay to have this quilt machine quilted but didn't spend any money on the top, batting or backing. It's one of my favorites

Trail mix
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88330[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88325.jpe