View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 AM
PunkQuilter

I have had the opportunity to travel a large part of the us and have been to many a quilt shop. Here are some you might think obvious-but experience has taught me differently-suggestions. I need something on the outside of the store to tell me what's on the inside. If you name your business...Pam's Fiber Fantasy, it doesn't tell me what's inside the store. I strongly recommend using the word quilt in the name. Also, I need to be able to tell from my moving car that you are open for business. You can do this with a flag that actually says open or potted plants--something that says you're in there. In conjunction with that, show me that i am welcome. Make your store as inviting as possible from the outside. When I step inside I need to get an idea of what kind of shop this is. Add some personal touches, and personality. My LQS is so bland I am bored to go in there. As for the inside, what lines you chose, and what you make is not as important as the following key things. Samples, samples, samples...you can't have enough of them. It's good for the customer to see them and will increase your sales dramatically. Have a website and sell on it, make sure you list your class schedule on your website. Most importantly, listen to your customers and their interests. Teach what they are interested in. Schedule the same class for a weekend, a daytime class and an evening class so everyone has an opportunity to take the class. Have a free rotary cutting class for new quilters. Good for business and keeps you, them and others safe. I could go on but I tried to stick to the basics. Best wishes.