Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by dar627742
charlee,am taking advantage of your being on line..please forgive me but i need advice today ! i have an appt tomorrow to look at a 1920 singer in a cabinetfor $75.00.the only real info i have on it so far is the serial#d1134019 sounds too cheap if it real,& in decent shape.any info you can give me,whatto look for ,etci sure would appreciate it as i know NOTHING about vintage machines HELP thanx in advance,dar.[dlan627742]
Hi Dar...prices really aren't an indicator! I've picked up machines for next to nothing...and others for too much! The machines I got for next to nothing are in better shape than the ones I paid too much for! ;)

According to the serial number you have here, that machine is a 66, and the number was allotted in 1909. As to "what to look for", I can only tell you what I look for, and I tend to be a bit picky, because it's not my goal to put a lot of work into machines, I'd rather be using them! ;)

I don't mind if decals are missing from the bed from where fabric has worn them off. It simply means that the machine was used and loved. :) I do look to see what the decals are tho, some are more rare than others.

I don't worry about a belt for the treadle. I've got one that I have a leather bootlace for a belt, it works fine!

I turn the handwheel to make sure that it's free moving. If it's a little stiff, it's not a problem, it usually just needs oiled.

I look to make sure all of the parts of the machine itself are there...Singers are usually easy to replace parts on tho. And I don't worry about attachments....you can find them on ebay easy enough. (Sometimes you have to wait a bit, but they show up sooner or later)

The cabinet is another story. They are easily refinished, "easy" being the term of the day...time consuming, but easy. Missing veneer can be replaced, etc.

All in all....if the machine isn't rusted out, the cabinet isn't falling apart, and you like and want it, then $75 is a good price....altho I'd offer him $50 to see if he'd take it!! ;)