View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM
KiwiQuilter

I am working on a quilt for my Mother. It started with my mother selecting the fabric. The colors are teal, raspberry (?), and cream. In my mind I was thinking of a simple repetitive block design, but when I was showing designs to her from my quilting books - she didn't like any of them.

In the end she found something she liked. The down side was that there was no pattern, and the design is complex (well for me anyway). It's a modified mariners compass.

I have drafted the pattern myself and paper pieced it. Part of the challenge was that I bought the fabric first (which are now no longer available) - so had to layout the fabrics into the design based on what I had. Quite tricky - and by the way - I don't recommend others doing that.

Have just finished working out what designs I will use for the quilting. It will be hand quilted. Finished size will be approximately 60" square. I'm hoping that she uses it for either a bed topper, or a throw over the back of the lounge suite.

This quilt is to celebrate 2 things; how fantastic my mother is, and her upcoming 65th birthday. I've had quite a rough patch over the last few years, and she has been there supporting me.

The label will attempt to describe all that she means to me (yes - hard to think of words to encapsulate that). As yet I haven't been inspired by a name for it - I think they will come as I work on the quilting.