View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Something that strikes me as a bit ironic -

It appears to me that many people say they make their "heirloom" quilts - the ones that are put on the guest bed and stored in acid free paper - and not really "used" - they may be loved, but are not made for hard/steady use - out of "good/better" fabrics because they "want them to last."

Then they say that they make the "charity/kids/everyday" quilts out of "lesser quality" fabric - and these are the ones that will probably be used and loved to shreds.

In a way, it would seem to make sense to me to make the ones that are going to get the steady/everyday use (I am NOT talking about abusing the quilt here) out of the more durable, longer-lasting fabrics.

But then, maybe it's in the same category as buying a wedding dress that's worn once versus spending the same amount of money on a working wardrobe (for whatever one does) that will be worn every day for years.

Just a thought.

By the way - we had quilts from my Grandma B made from used clothing and whatever that lasted for years and years. Of course, she used sturdier fabrics in them.