Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Pamela Artman

There are four LQS within an hour's drive from me. I have visited three of these several times and have made several purchases of fabric, patterns, or notions from two of them. I have been to many quilt shops all over Michigan and other states as well when traveling. I can think of only three or maybe 4 shops that had really great prices. The one nearest me has fantastic prices, normally about $5 a yard and every month she puts something on sale for $4 or $4.50 - like black and whites one month or flannels one month, etc. One of the other quilt shops that is an hour away has good prices as well, $5, $6, or at the most $7 a yard (even Jinny Beyer's gorgeous fabrics.) The third shop is also an hour away and I have stopped there several times, but the only purchase I've ever made is a couple of fat quarters. Everything else is priced soooo high, I just can't afford it. There is a LQS in Port Huron that is HUGE and I bet at least 1/3 of her fabric is half off the regular price, which makes it either $3 or $4 a yard. Now here's my question. These quilt shops are always busy, and seem to be doing very well in this economy. So, why do other quilt shops charge $10 a yard and up?? It seems like they would make more money if they had lower prices and more sales and sold a lot more! And it would help quilters to keep quilting, keep buying more and they would always come back. Most of us don't have unlimited funds to buy fabric and we want good fabric at reasonable prices! And the woman at the closest shop is so warm and friendly... not only will she greet you, chat with you, help you find fabrics, she will also invite you into her house (attached) for coffee cake or cinnamon rolls!!!