View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM
kd124

KO24
I am sorry you had a bad experience with this. This was my first year of doing it (with my sister). We planned on doing 2 days only and whatever we got was fine. However, we had so much fun we were out there for 4 days (3 nights) and got all 56 blocks. I kind of thought of it as a vacation and saw new places in Washington and rode a ferry for the first time. It will be the most expensive quilt I will make (if you figure in meals, ect.)

Anyway, some places had complete kits for the block, and 2 charged about $5 for the finishing kit (one had stuff to embellish). Most that charged were $2 or less. The best way to do it is buy a little of each fabric-- one shop sold a bundle of fat quarters for $21. That way you have the fabric for finishing the blocks and mess ups. Some shops did throw in other fabrics, but like some told us we could use whatever we have.

I encourage you to give it another try as it really was fun and go with a friend. This year's has a lot of applique (ugh) and some paper piecing so I will learn new things I have been putting off. Did you know the fabric (at least the focal) is only around for the shop hop? Once the shops sell out what they have that is it.

Sorry this is so long everyone, but I got home today and had so much fun, I just wanted to encourage her to try again next year. Also we did run into some bargains. One shop had warm and natural bundles (90" wide) on sale for just under $4 a yard. And for those of you not familiar with our shop hop the focal fabric is a special print pertaining to Washington and some shops design blocks to tie into their shop. Sorry again for the length.