View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Sally Dolin

My only input on red work besides I love it too is to watch out for your embroidery thread. If you are working by hand, test your thread - they do fade and quite often a lot. I have started using King Star Embroidery thread for that reason (I had trouble with some Sulky threads fading too). Another thing you can try is to use just regular sewing thread and slow down your machine speed. The thread is fatter and gives a more hand done look. Also doesn't fade. I did the edges on some white feed sack towels for the kitchen using this trick in red talon dual duty. Looks very nice. Now I'll go back and put the designs on them. I'm a commercial quilter and right now in my studio there is a hand done red work waiting for stitching and I'm afraid of it because areas of it already show fading. If I should have dampness on my hands or have to press it before loading and the iron spits a little - I'm in real trouble.

If you are doing your work on the machine, try using 2 layers of regular tissue paper as your stabilizer. The red work is so open and the tissue removes easily so there is very little backing left on your blocks.