View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Marcia

I have been on several quilt shop hops in different locations. In the VA/DC/MD area there were a dozen or so quilt shops spread out over a large area. Several quilt buddies and I would break the hop down into 2 or 3 day trips and away we went. Each quilt shop gave away a kit for one block of a quilt-no other purchase was required. You also had your "passport" stamped at each shop and when you arrived at the last shop, you turned in your passport and received a tote bag.

I also did a shop hop in the Atlanta area. Since 90% of the shops are hours from my house and I only had one day I could hop I just picked a few shops to visit. It was VERY crowded in each store-LONG lines at the cutting table and cash register. It was NOT the time to be checking out a new quilt shop. Each shop gave away something-a fat quarter, a pattern, a block kit, etc-but they were not related items. I decided to keep my shop list and visit the shops on non-hop days when I could shop at my leisure.

I have had two completely different shop hop experiences, but I would encourage anyone to try a hop at least once. Gather a few friends and make a day or two of it.