View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 12:41 AM
tooMuchFabric

For most of my projects, I also machine sew the binding onto the front, then handstitch onto the back using ladder stitch. I like the traditional look of it, I like a small well-filled edge, and I am definitely not skilled enough to machine sew the second side and have it look presentable!

I always think of the use of the quilt.

I have used the fold backing over to front method on occasion. If the quilt's likely going to get worn out, and not intended to be a long-lived quilt, then a durable binding is not important. This might be a picnic blanket or the doggie bed or a table topper for everyday use, that kind of thing.
Also, if it is a walllhanging and not intended for heavy use, I'll fold over the backing - But often in this case, I'll just do Envelope style, sewing front and backing face-to-face and turning right-side out.

But if the quilt is intended to last a long time then I put on a separate binding,
because as time goes on the binding, which gets probably more wear than the rest of the quilt, can just be removed and replaced; the main fabrics are not destroyed along with the edge.

Of course, the centers of quilts that are actually used get worn too, from people sitting on beds and what-not.

That's either to be borne with a stoic heart, or is grounds for capital punishment!!