Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

I decided to make gravy for my soon to be DH and his brother and his sister. Glenda was 17 and I was 18. I did not know how to cook. Glenda had helped her mom cook alot and was convinced she knew how to cook! So we made gravy! It was so thick you could stand a knife up in it for real. That meal did not come out good!! My soon to be BIL went out and brought back Kentucky Fried! I did learn to make gravy from my MIL later on. She always fed about 18 to 25 every weekend so she had this huge black iron skillet. It was 18" wide no joke. I learned to make gravy in that with her helping me. I wanted that skillet so bad when they moved off the farm but I think someone threw it away. Noone could find it. My sister inlaw learned to cook for large groups of people at home as there were 9 kids and their spouses and kids and all the folks's inlaws would show up on the weekends. so Mom always prepared alot of food. My SIL went on to cook in restaurants and my one BIL and his wife owned a restaurant. Mom was a good downhome cook on most things. I learned alot of techniques from her that I still use to this day.