Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Vanuatu Jill

When I started quilting in Vanuatu, I couldn't get my hands on any frames, so I borrowed someone's simple wood 14" hoop. My DH and son decided to make me a floor frame from a photo of one they saw for my birthday. It was so special and I used it for several bed size quilts. I still had to baste, and sew the sandwich on muslin pieces stapled to the roll bars. It took help and a while to get a quilt set up, and it wasn't really portable, but I still loved it, and still have it (though I haven't used it for years). I then bought various sizes of hoops and a large oval hoop at Joann's on a trip back to the States (which I don't like), and the last one was the Grace stand with a 21" square hoop. It was a bit more portable, but like FOX, it squeaked as the hoop pivoted and tilted, and because of the pole which you can attach the light to being so high, a large quilt doesn't drape over smoothly as I turn and tilt the hoop, which is frequently because I must be weird, but I seem to only be able to quilt in one direction-from top to bottom, not bottom to top or sideways! I now mostly stick to my 14" x 3/4" plastic hoop on my lap, though I wish it were at least 18-20"!