Old 06-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Rosyhf

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
I am almost embarrassed to mention this, but if I read any kind of 1/8. 7/8 or any kind of 8 for cutting - I am out of there. I have trouble getting that on my rulers and my husband thinks it is funny and laughs at his math challenged wife trying to figure out how many lines back or forward I need. Rulers, as a rule, do not indicate any 8ths and it drives me nuts when i find a great pattern and when I look at the instructions, I will not attempt it. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do you dealwith it?
Late Bloomer, I have the same problem. I have a mental block when it comes to math. I don't see as well as I used to and I think that plays a role too with measuring - for me - anything between the inch or half-inch marker. I thought I was the only one and I am embarrassed about it too.
Judy Martin has a special ruler with 1/8 and 1/16 sections as she sews precise lol....

The eights are not hard. every line in an inch is an eight. there are 8 lines to any inch in any of your quilting rulers. two lines is a 1/4 and four lines is half an inch...so if the seam is 3/8, count the three little marks in the one inch section and so on...if it says 1 3/8 seam, then you know you have to add three little lines to your 1 inch..

If it says 7/8 then you know you have to count 7 little lines and there will be one line left to finish that inch...the number underneath (8) only signifies the the number of parts in that particular measurement, for instance the inch being divided into eights.