View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
All Thumbs

Ah-h, Saturday was a rewarding day for me and I would like to share with you my Project Linus project.

About 20-25 women showed up for our semi-annual blanket day. Oh, we complained as we trekked across the hot parking lot in the blasted full summer's sun dragging our machines and supplies but once we got set up and partook of coffee and donut holes, we were off and running for six hours of sewing. Heat index was well over 100 degrees when we left around 3p.m.

This particular day we were making autistic weighted blankets. (Photo below.) It was explained that a weighted quilt induces chemicals within an autistic child’s mind and results in his/her becoming calmer. These quilts have six velcor pockets containing wide strips of recycled hospital blankets.

The expensive commercial quilts have poly pellets in them but some thought a pet or child could possibly chew through the fabric making a hazard. Therefore, a member in our area has come up with local hospitals donating sheets (sterilized of course) and after ripping them into wide strips, rolling the strips, and stuffing into the tubes, they make a perfect weighted blanket which can also be washed. Great Green Earth idea too! Now, attaching that heavy velcor is like fighting a bear and a half. But we struggled our way through the day making a total of 40+ quilts.

Project Linus is a national chapter; does anyone else work as a volunteering blanketeer? It is very beneficial to children and generally results in a full day of fun and giggles amongst a bunch of quilters.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85703.jpe